Saturday, January 27, 2007

Knitting again! Jenna's shorties.

Jenna starts at her Steiner playgroup in two weeks, and its all very earthy there. They have suggested what clothes the kids wear, mainly natural fibres and no logos!
I've decided to try and get Jenna back into woollen soakers - she hasn't let me put her in wool for about 4-5m now, so I have chose all the earthy block balls of wool from my stash, and we are trying to put it together into a pair of shorties that she can wear to playgroup.
Its all cheap wool, but thats fine as I fully expect them to get completely trashed at playgroup, so funny colours and crappy wool is probably a good thing.
The other great thing is she is actually letting me knit in front of her, cause they are "jenna's pants" and she's a bit excited about them!

Last Block!

Yay, Georgetown Lighthouse complete! It was a bugger of a block. Lots of fiddly points to match up, but cutting was pretty hard too. So it means I'm ready to start sewing them all together finally. I've done a quick check, and most of mums blocks are 16 1/4 inches, and most of mine are about right, so there is going to be lots of easing the blocks together. I hate easing.....
All up there are about 15 main blocks, and then about 8 split blocks that all need to be put together, and then I have to sew on the borders. So I guess it is about another 25hrs work or so.....
Check back in a few weeks!

Saturday, January 20, 2007

Back onto my Northern Lights project

So about 5 years ago when I split up with my XH, my mum came over to console me, and brought me this BOM project that she had started and lost interest in finishing. Its a Marti Micthell project, and its going to be STUNNING!

Last week I started up again. I was pleased to find I only had 3 blocks to do, and now its only one block left. I did these two over the last week. I'm really happy with them!

I had a few problems with the Star of Fortune. I didn't follow the cutting instructions properly, and ended up muffing one piece of the fabric, so I had to hunt around to find something similar. In the end I had to reverse a couple of colours to have enough fabric to do the whole thing.
Then to make matters worse I cut a triangle in the border on the grain rather than on the bias, so when it came to putting it all together, no go. So unpicking and recutting and resewing. But its all together now, and most of the points match.....

So a couple more sewing days, and I'll be ready to put the whole thing together. OMG - A huge job as its a queen sized sampler quilt. Lots of pins and work there.